top of page
  • Writer's pictureAlex Kavanagh

Getting Your Drone License Like Julien Solomita

Julien recently reached out to us for help to obtain his drone license so he could start flying more commercial jobs and fly in controlled airspace areas where flying as a hobbyist is prohibited.

Thanks to Altitude University and their great FAA Part 107 Prep Course, Julien was able to pass in his first attempt! In order to get compensated for aerial cinematography/photography, it's imperative to have a licence in most countries including the U.S. and Australia (my home country).

You can legally fly your drone as a hobbyist as long as you’ve registered your drone with the FAA and it weighs less than 55lbs. However, if you want to sell a picture you’ve taken or charge someone for video services, you'll need a license and insurance to do so.

Becoming a commercial drone pilot comes with more responsibilities and rules to abide by. These rules are very serious. You can face significant fines if you fly commercially without an FAA Part 107 Drone License.

In order to be eligible to take part in the FAA Part 107 Test and receive your drone license, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old

  • Be a U.S citizen, or foreign national with a valid visa/green card and U.S state issued drivers license

  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English (exceptions may be made if you are unable to meet one of these requirements for a medical reason, such as hearing impairment)

  • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely operate a small UAS

  • Pass a 60 question multiple choice Aeronautical Knowledge Exam at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center

  • Receive a score of 70% or better

  • Pay the $150.00 FAA test fee

Julien passed by studying and doing all the Part 107 Prep Course from Altitude University. They have kindly offered new students a 25% off discount code which is: JULIEN107

The Part 107 Prep Course is usually $199.00, but with the 25% discount code that brings it down to $149.25 which means you can become an FAA Part 107 commercial drone pilot for under $300 with the FAA licensing fee. We can’t emphasise enough how important it is to study for this test. Having a great online resource in Altitude University will help you pass like Julien did!

Check out the Altitude University website here -

If you’re from Australia and looking to get your CASA Drone License, check out my YouTube video on how to get your remote pilot license (RePL) below!

Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel -

691 views0 comments


bottom of page